30th November 2018
We had the opportunity to share our Intellectual Property knowledge with the Institute of System Biology (INBIOSIS), The National University of Malaysia/Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) invited by Associate Professor Dr Syarul Nataqain Binti Baharum (http://www.inbiosis.ukm.my/v2/). The attendees were professors, researchers and graduate students in bio tech.
Both of us had presented our own topics on Patent and Trademark respectively from a scientist view and a legal practitioner’s view (http://www.inbiosis.ukm.my/v2/event/).
We encourage our audience to actively involved in IP and to start drafting their own patent. For a patent to be granted it does not mean that they need to invent entirely a brand new product. An inventor, must know how to draft a patent because we want the technology to grow. We do not want other people to re-invent the wheel. In a nutshell, our take home are:
• Scientist to learn what and why Intellectual Property is important.
• To understand your exclusive right as a patent owner, where you can sell or license out your patent to others.
• Important to understand the legal requirements for claims inventions: Novelty, Inventive Steps and Industrial Applications.
• To learn claims category and foundation to write a patent.
• Imperative to know who has the right to a patent based on case study and Malaysian Patent Act.